Dean weighed in super low at the doctors today (less than the 3rd percentile). At the time, I was getting pretty peeved because the doctor was treating me like an idiot. Looking back I realize that he was just worried. The doctor had plenty of nonhelpful things to say like "you cant just stop feeding him something because he has a bad reaction to it once." This was because I was worried about feeding him foods that contain Sorbic Acid -- the stuff that gave him a rash. WHAT?! so I'm supposed to ignore allergic reactions? He also told me I was wrong when I said that I think Dean was getting constipated because it was time to come off of his formula. (it's a real pet peeve of mine when doctors won't listen to you. As if my 3 months of observations are worthless.) Then he asked a series of questions that suggested I should have figured out a diet for him that didn't get him constipated ( ignoring the fact what we are going through a huge diet transition -- coming off of formula.) I just said, "he pooped soft yesterday" and "the constipation has really only been bad for a week".
The problem that I am not going to discuss with my nonhelpful pediatrician is that his constipation diet is NOT a high calorie diet. (in an effort to help him poop, I stopped feeding him cheese and peanut butter -- the only high fat foods he likes). Now we've returned to diet problem #1 -- Dean is too small. I am going to take Dean to a GI/nutritionist or an allergy doctor. Which sort of doctor do you recommend? I don't have a recommendation for a pediatric GI, but there are pediatric allergists. I'm inclined toward the GI since I'm not so worried about allergies and immune systems, I am worried about his picky appetite and sensitive bum.
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jenny, I am sorry your doctor was so frustrating. You are so smart (one of the smartest people out there) and you will figure this out, I've no doubt! I haven't taken my kids to either kind of doctor, so sorry I'm no help. But I think you're right that a GI doc would be most beneficial. Good luck!
ReplyDelete